Monday, May 11, 2015

The beginning of my own yes adventure.

If you've read "Yes Man" or seen the movie, then you will know what this blog is about. If you haven't, then this is all new to you and I probably won't take the time to fill you in, but..it's a simple concept. Essentially, say yes to living your life.
 
So today I started my own yes adventure. I'm still making up a few rules, which may disqualify me from a true yes experience, but it's my own adventure so fuck off. (not really, I like you). 

I tend to say no to everything because I'd rather go to sleep. Or make money. Or doing something by myself. Needless to say, I am a well rested, sort of financially stable, lonely person. I travel a lot, by myself. I take risks. (Long pause and staring at two chairs here to think of my last risk). Moving on. 

Fail:
I said no to lunch with my roommate and her boyfriend today, but only because she had just asked if I was hungry and I had said no. Should I have said yes?

Yes:
Martin texted me wondering if I was going out tonight. I hesitated to write back. I didn't want to go out. I wanted to stay in and go to sleep early as I have to work in the morning, and as I was already in bed (at 4PM). So I said yes, but only for a short while. He asked me to bring my bass and clarinet. I said yes to this as well. 
So tonight I played bass at a bar across the bridge. I was really hoping he wouldn't remember that he'd asked me to bring my clarinet, and he didn't. It was actually quite fun. I sounded shitty as I didn't know a single song, but then again, "no one listens to the bass line anyway", according to the lead singer of the band I just recently quit. 
People were smiling and having a good time and so was I! I might do that again sometime. 

Fail:
I did say no when asked to sing a song tonight, but for good reason. I lost my voice yesterday and am still looking for it.

Yes:
Last year I told my friend Laura that I was going to audition for the Voice. Today I signed up to do that very thing. This coming June. It's a month and a week away. My roommate has said that she will accompany me on the journey, which will be fantastic. Now I may have just fooled myself into thinking that I don't care if I make it to a second round (if there are rounds), but if I have, I am a very good fooler indeed, because I think just going and auditioning for the experience, is prize enough. We'll see how I feel in June.

So more yes. less no. 
Some exclusions do apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment